Not supporting load when grid is down

True Hybrid Energy System
Electrictrauma
Forum Member
My RE system: Skybox

Not supporting load when grid is down

Post by Electrictrauma » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:46 am

The skybox seems to use the battery only to run the inverter whether grid is up or down. Solar production supports load only when grid is up and also charges the battery. No load is supported by solar or battery when grid is down. Running in self consumption mode and load is protected.

Any ideas?

fcwlp
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600 W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed
I also install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems, details will be given for these system if required

Re: Not supporting load when grid is down

Post by fcwlp » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Welcome and interesting username. Electricity should not be traumatic.

The SkyBox is designed to run your loads from the batteries when the grid is down and use solar if the grid is down. There appears to be a configuration issue. If you system was professionally installed, I would get them back. If it was a self-install, it is time to break out the manuals and go through the settings in detail. There are some SkyBox users on this forum who may be able to help.

Electrictrauma
Forum Member

Post by Electrictrauma » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:42 pm

I expect outback to help but they seem to be absent. The documentation is lacking as has been noted on this forum. I submitted a ticket in June and no answer from outback.

fcwlp
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600 W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed
I also install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems, details will be given for these system if required

Post by fcwlp » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:39 pm

Did you do a self-install? If so I would recommend going back through the setup using the Profile Wizard ("Run Setup Wizard").

Electrictrauma
Forum Member

Post by Electrictrauma » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Yes, self install and have gone over all the settings many times. Was hoping someone could narrow it down, assuming it has to be a grid setting but it seems when you choose your mode ie self consumption that should take care of the islanding feature.

Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Post by Greg T Fordan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:51 am

Hi electrictrauma,
Supporting a load with just the battery bank without grid, generator and PV is a basic function of skybox, and any other battery based inverter for that matter.
On the Skybox main screen, please check the color of the power icon. It should be green. If it is black, it means the inverter is Off and needs to be turned on. Press the icon and a pop-out will show up asking if you wish to turn on the inverter. Press Yes. You will hear a click, and the icon will change its color to green. The inverter is ready to be loaded from the battery.
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies

Electrictrauma
Forum Member

Post by Electrictrauma » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Hey Greg,

So you are saying when the grid goes down the sky box isolates itself and you have to turn the inverter on manually? Doesn’t sound right. I also can’t get the skybox to access the battery for any more than powering the inverter when the grid is up. So it feeds the inverter at night and charges from the solar panels by day but won’t offset any load.

Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Post by Greg T Fordan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Electrictrauma wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:53 pm
Hey Greg,

So you are saying when the grid goes down the sky box isolates itself and you have to turn the inverter on manually?
I am not saying that. What I'm saying is Skybox inverter must be in the ON status.
For example , you have a battery and grid breaker on and it is feeding a load. On the main screen, that power icon should be colored green and not black. Your grid tile should indicate how much it is buying. Your load tile should show the amount of load kW and is "powering". If you lose the grid for some reason, the load should be automatically taken care of by the battery. You do not have to turn it on manually.
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies

Electrictrauma
Forum Member

Post by Electrictrauma » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:37 pm

Another power outage and a useless skybox...the inverter is on...array is producing, charges batteries but load and grid icons not working. Amazing that any inverter should handle this except the skybox.

fcwlp
Forum Czar

Post by fcwlp » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:02 pm

Please post a picture of your BOS (Balance of System) where your wiring is connected in the Skybox.