remote start backup generator

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

remote start backup generator

Postby KRCFarm1 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm new to using OpticsRE app. I"m totally off-grid using a current Outback system. I use a Northern Lights 8Kw backup that is easy to start/stop from the Mate3 if I feel I need a bump in battery power. However, I have not been able to remotely start/stop from OpticsRE app. After setting "On" in AGS screen and command is sent, AGS screen returns to Off or blank. I'd like to be able to start geny remotely esp. from my phone app if I'm in a situation that needs attention right away. Any help out there? Thanks
KRCFarm1

My RE system: Outback Mate 3, 2x FX3048T, FlexNet DC, FM80-150 VDC CC, 4.6W PV panels

Re: remote start backup generator

Postby David LeBow on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm

You might find these videos useful:

Automatic Generator Start Basics:
https://youtu.be/lylulnc8cxo

Programming Part 1:
https://youtu.be/tNiuoIKqI_Y

Programming Part 2:
https://youtu.be/FUJHjPVKOoM
David LeBow
Vice President, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby klundquist on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:38 am

KRCFarm1 wrote:After setting "On" in AGS screen and command is sent, AGS screen returns to Off or blank

Can you make other changes to your system via OpticsRE?

What version of Mate3 firmware are you running?

If you haven't done so already I suggest you click the little ? in OpticsRE and enter feedback there about the problem. This should route you directly into the OpticsRE support queue.

I would be cautious about starting the Generator via OpticsRE when you are not home or don't plan to be home soon. If your internet connection goes down you might not be able to remotely shut the generator back off again. I think you would be better off tweaking the auto start features (such as raising the 2 min volt start voltage) to trick the system into an Auto start. That way the system will automatically shut off the generator once the charge parameters are met even if your internet connection is down. Of course you will need to remember to re-set your 2 minute voltage start voltage after the generator is running.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby KRCFarm1 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 am

Thanks Kurt. I have admin rights so can change Mate's settings. I have ver. 3.5 firmware installed. I like your logic about why not to remote start while away from farm. I'll test using your suggestion/trick to use 2 min. volt start voltage. Thanks for the tip.
KRCFarm1

My RE system: Outback Mate 3, 2x FX3048T, FlexNet DC, FM80-150 VDC CC, 4.6W PV panels

Postby intellact on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:33 pm

klundquist wrote:I would be cautious about starting the Generator via OpticsRE when you are not home or don't plan to be home soon. If your internet connection goes down you might not be able to remotely shut the generator back off again. I think you would be better off tweaking the auto start features (such as raising the 2 min volt start voltage) to trick the system into an Auto start. That way the system will automatically shut off the generator once the charge parameters are met even if your internet connection is down. Of course you will need to remember to re-set your 2 minute voltage start voltage after the generator is running.

The new WattPlot ACKcess tool offers a different safety strategy. :smile:

The ACKcess Generator Control can emulate the AGS smart start and stop features (warm-up, cool down, etc.) for one-click Sart, Exercise, or Stop. If you are on-site with the generator, it just does this by turning the generator on and off, as requested, using a timer when applicable. If you are not on-site, there is the Safe Remote Start option.

The Safe Remote Start option sets a maximum run time by automatically programming the AGS Exercise start and stop settings remotely, each time. That way, if the internet connection gets dropped, the MATE3 or AXS Port will stop the generator itself. :cool: Of course, the Exercise settings will be returned to their previous values after the run is completed. \:D/ That's the power of being able to run this from intelligent software. :wink:

I think this will work well. :-k Anything I've missed?
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
intellact
OutBack Czar

Return to OpticsRE