Radian Spec Questions

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability
Vic
Forum Czar

Radian Spec Questions

Post by Vic » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:43 am

Been looking at the Radian Inverter. Looks like a very nice addition to the OB stable of inverter/chargers.

The manuals and colateral materials look very nice and complete, especially for a very new product, however, do have several questions:

Did look at Agency Approvals in the user's manual, but did not see reference to EMI/RFI specs. Being in the USA, am most familiar with FCC Class B specs. Does the Radian currently meet FCC Class B specs? If not, are there plans to meet these specs in the fairly near future?

Regarding Power Factor of the Charger function, Did notice that there is a PF spec for Radian Outputs, but wonder about the Input PF spec for the Charger function (?). (ie, the PF the Charger presents to the AC Grid or Generator AC inputs).

Thanks for any detail on the above, and congratulations on the this nice new product. Vic
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.

mraub

Re: Radian Spec Questions

Post by mraub » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:38 pm

Dear Vic,

The Radian is not currently FCC rated, however there are steps that we are taking in that direction. When this will happen, we have not been told yet, but we are working on it!

I'm not sure I'm completely sure on what you are asking for when talking about the Power Factor of the charger. The Power Factor when selling back (so, on the AC input line) exceeds UL1741 standard of 0.85. Typical Power Factor when selling is 0.96.

I hope these answer your questions.

Vic
Forum Czar

Post by Vic » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi Mary, Thanks for the reply,

Ok on the FCC Class B or similar Emissions testing/compliance .. Thanks.

Regarding the PF that the Battery Charger presents to the Grid AC, or more importantly to me, the PF presented to the Generator AC into the Radian, when the genset is charging the batteries. If I understood the Topology of the Radian, perhaps I'd know how to apply the PF specs you noted to the Charger function, but I do not.

PFs significantly less than 1.0 presented to the output of a genset's AC terminals mean that the full capabilities of the genset cannot be utilized in batt charging. And could be an important in correctly sizing the genset to work well in a Radian Inverter system. it is possible that the spec you noted might apply to the Charger function as well. The way I read the spec you noted, was MINIMUM PF 0.85, TYPICAL PF 0.96.

Thanks again Mary for the rapid response. Vic
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.

Vic
Forum Czar

Post by Vic » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:44 am

Not to nag, BUT, any info available for the Radian Charger PF?

A PM is OK with me, just am considering the Radian in a new application.
Thanks, Vic

Vic
Forum Czar

Post by Vic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:47 pm

YO Outback,

Regarding the above question regarding the PF that the Radian presents to the Grid, or especially the PF presented to a generator when charging batteries form either of those AC input sources.

Did get a form of reply. BUT, perhaps it was a very STUPID question, or perhaps it was not phrased we;;, so will try once more.

HI OB Tech,

Been looking at the new Radian inverter. Notice that it does Battery charging, including Inverting. Regarding the Battery charging function; What is the Power Factor that the Radian Charger presents to the AC input when charging batteries? Is it 0.85, as noted in the above reply? This was stated in the context of the PF meets UL 1741, and typically is 0.96, but was implied that it was never worse than the UL limit of 0.85. (BUT this was mentioned in the context of "SELLING").

My question regards the PF that the Radian's built-in Battery Charger presents to the AC INPUT. Is this also typically 0.96, and never worse than 0.85?

I have no agenda, am not trying to be difficult. AM trying to get this important piece of information.

If preferred, just PM me and ask me to go away if this is a bit of a political question.

Have always been impressed with OB Support, and am not trying to be difficult. TIA, Vic

egmiii
Forum Junior Member

Post by egmiii » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:23 am

I am also very interested in a response from Outback. I would also be interested in the quality of power (waveform distortion) during charging for various types of generators (Honda EU6500is, Kohler 13kw 1800RPM, etc). I'm considering a dual Radian system for backup power, but plan to buy a generator first to get a head start on the project. If the Radian draws 5kw off the Honda, will the resulting waveform be a mess? Or do I need to buy a massive 20kw unit to maintain a decent waveform? The house also has a 3 and 4 ton VFD Carrier heatpump, so the nonlinear loads are a significant percentage of the total load.

SteveHiggins
Forum Czar

Post by SteveHiggins » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:36 pm

The answer to this is... It Depends...

Depending on the charging Mode that the Radian is in and the Type/quality of the genset it can be as bad as .5 to as good as .96.

If In support mode typically it won't be worse than .96.

If In power quality generator mode it can be .5 to .96 depending on the genset or loads.
Steve Higgins
Technical Services Director- Surrette Battery Company

\

Vic
Forum Czar

Post by Vic » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Had thought that this would ba a straightforeward question to answer.

Lemme ruminate on this a bit. Thanks again, Vic