Inverter meter bar never shows anything

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power

Inverter meter bar never shows anything

Postby stevetull on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:07 pm

It's very strange that the left inverter (output) meter bar has never shown anything but a blank bar. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've ever seen any activity on the right inverter (charger) meter bar either. Right now to the right of those two meter bars it says 0.0 kW. When I press the inverter soft key it indicates in the upper left corner that the inverter(s) is inverting, however when I press the Inverter hot key it shows the inverter(s) is in search mode. Also, in the Mate3s manual, page 15, it shows the inverter hot key inverter Status screen should look like example A1 since I have VFX3648 inverters, but instead the screen looks like example A2, which should be for FXR-class inverters.
The system works well as far as I can tell. We like using HXB mode and it kicks over to grid power once battery bank is drawn down to 90%.

It seems clear that I've set something up wrong, but it seems to be reporting to OpticsRE fine, I think...

Could you guys have a quick look and tell me what you think I did wrong this time? My site is Paige cabin.

Thank you.

-Steve
stevetull
Forum Virtuoso

My RE system: FlexPower Two:
2 VFX3648, X240, 2 MX60, Mate 3s, FnDC, Hub 10
18 Kyocera KC-175GT facing south at 30 degrees
12 Astronergy CHSM6610P-270 facing southwest @ 10 degrees
Total of ~6.4Kw.
16 Fullriver AGM DC400-6 = 830Ah @ 48v
eu2000i
OpticRE: Paige cabin

Re: Inverter meter bar never shows anything

Postby stevetull on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Well I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this because what I read in the Mate 3s manual isn't what I see happening on the Mate, and I want to make sure the system is performing properly as we just recently upgraded from the original Mate.

I'm doing my best to understand what the left and right meter bars are supposed to represent. For a backup type system like ours, the left meter bar supposedly represents the inverter's output, however during hours of solar collection and while we're running off grid, nothing at all shows on the meter bar even though the inverters are obviously inverting and outputting. It isn't until we reconnect to the grid to power our loads that the left meter bar shows anything at all, and that's when the inverters aren't inverting, grid power I guess is just passing through them to our loads. So that's when the left meter bar is active and the kW value shows up to the right of the meter bars.

Now then, the right meter bar supposedly represents the inverter's charger output. However, When I turn on the inverter's charger this is displayed on the left meter bar, not the right one. So then, what does the right meter bar do?

I spoke with Outback Tech support yesterday and he suggested I update the Mate 3s firmware, which I did however this issue still exists.
Is it possible there's something wrong with our new Mate 3s. I don't want to have ponied up the money for the thing and have gotten one that has issues.

Thank you for any insight.

-Steve
stevetull
Forum Virtuoso

My RE system: FlexPower Two:
2 VFX3648, X240, 2 MX60, Mate 3s, FnDC, Hub 10
18 Kyocera KC-175GT facing south at 30 degrees
12 Astronergy CHSM6610P-270 facing southwest @ 10 degrees
Total of ~6.4Kw.
16 Fullriver AGM DC400-6 = 830Ah @ 48v
eu2000i
OpticRE: Paige cabin