Wiring Diagrams

Discussion about the FM Extreme, FM60 and FM80 Charge Controllers

Moderator: OutBack Moderator Team

Wiring Diagrams

Postby davidl on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:55 am

Dear all

The FM80 manual contains wiring diagrams for 24 volt systems, but has anyone got a complete wiring diagram for a 48 Volt PV Array with a 24 Volt Battery Bank and 24 Volt FX? I have one FX, Hub4 and an RTS.

I'd like diagrams with and without the ground fault protection wiring system if possible (mainly because I've ordered the GFP, but I don't know when it's going to arrive).

Regards
David
davidl

My RE system: System 1 (TV Room System)
2 x Unisolar 64s; 1 Steca 2020 charge controller; 2 x 105Amp Hour Deep Cycle Lead Acid Batteries; Cotec 1000 Watt Inverter.

System 2 (main system - "UPS" (inverter and batteries) system running)
8 x Unisolar PVL 128s
8 x 12Volt 105Amp Backup Batteries (configured as 4 24 Volt pairs); not ideal, but I'm getting there. Mate set to recharge at 25 Volts.
Outback VFX3024 Inverter Charger
Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT Solar Charge Controller
Flexnet DC + 3 Current Shunts
Outback Mate System Display
Outback Hub 4 Communications Manager
Outback Remote Temperature Sensor
Flexware 500 Enclosure System (incl AC and DC adapta boxes, fuses, other enclosures)
Flexware Surge Protector
Ground Fault Protection Device

+

1KW 24Volt Futurenergy Wind Turbine
Xantex C60 Charge Controller
Dumpload
Stop Switch and Isolator

Re: Wiring Diagrams

Postby tallgirl on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:25 pm

The wiring diagram is the same -- the FM80 will convert the 48V array output to 24V battery charging voltages.

As for leaving off the ground fault protection -- don't. Ironically the time you need it most is when the system is first being put together and all the kinks worked out. Better you should wait a few days than get yourself killed.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby davidl on Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:47 am

Thanks TallGirl. It's amazing that they sell this equipment in South Africa as standard without the ground fault protection and without the FW-SP-ACA surge protector. I have ordered both of these, and am waiting for the main distributor to get them from the USA. I will wait for them to arrive before installing :)

About your answer and referring to the diagram on page 14 of the Charge Controller Manual:
Does the 48 Volt array plug into the same ground bus bar as the (48V on the array side) Charge Controller and 24V Inverter?
Does the 48 Volt array plug into the same DC Negative Bus Bar as the negative of the 24 Volt battery bank?

New questions:
The -ve of the PV array and the -ve of the battery plug into the same shunt, but I am going to have two shunts in this part of my system, one to measure the PV array and one to measure the battery bank. So should I simply have one shunt on the battery side of the DC negative bus bar and another one on the PV array side of the bus bar?
On page 36 of the manual, there is a diagram which includes a 24 VDC Wind Generator - which I have and will be adding to my system as soon as an Environmental Impact Assessment is complete. I hadn't realised that this could be integrated with the AUX port of the FX80. I have already bought the Diversion Load, Stop Switch, and Xantrex C60 which I was going to plug into the battery separately from the Outback system, but it seems to make more sense to integrate it. On the diagram on page 36, there is a Power Relay. Is this the Xantrex or is this something else? Where does the Wind Generator Shunt go in this diagram? Is the Terminal Bus Bar at the top of the diagram the same DC Negative Bus Bar as in the diagram on page 14?
Do you have a diagram that integrates the diagram on page 36 with the diagram on page 14?

TIA
David
davidl

2 x Unisolar 64s; 1 Steca 2020 charge controller; 2 x 105Amp Hour Deep Cycle Lead Acid Batteries; Cotec 1000 Watt Inverter.

8 x Unisolar PVL 128s
8 x 12Volt 105Amp Backup Batteries (configured as 4 24 Volt pairs); not ideal, but I'm getting there. Mate set to recharge at 25 Volts.
Flexware 500 Enclosure System (incl AC and DC adapta boxes, fuses, other enclosures)
Flexware Surge Protector

+

Dumpload
Stop Switch and Isolator

Postby tallgirl on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:20 pm

David,

You have to understand how the power flows to understand the proper wiring.

The array is input to the FM80. The positive and negative wires go to the "PV+" and "PV-" lugs, respectively. The PV disconnect removes this power from the FM80.

The FM80 is input to the batteries and inverter(s). The positive wires for the batteries, FM80 "BAT+" lug and inverter battery positive terminal are tied together. That connection is the positive bus. You need to have a properly sized circuit breaker between the inverter and the positive bus so you can disconnect the inverter from battery power. The negative wires for the batteries, FM80 "BAT-" lug and inverter battery negative terminal are tied together. That connection is the negative bus.

It sounds like you're having a hard time reading the wiring diagram. I'm not sure I can help you enough to keep you from making a mistake, so my advice would be to find someone local to you if what I just explained doesn't make perfect sense.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby davidl on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:54 am

I found wiring diagrams at http://www.outbackpower.com/resources/d ... _diagrams/

I used the PS2AC (ps2ac.pdf) wiring diagram as a template and summary for my system.

I modified it slightly for my 3024 system and we put in an external Switch and Fuse.

See my FaceBook photos at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5 ... 3b856dc7a0
davidl

8 x Unisolar PVL 128s
Flexware Surge Protector

+

Dumpload
Stop Switch and Isolator

Return to FLEXmax Charge Controllers