How to use Auto Equalize on Flexmax 60

Discussion about the FM Extreme, FM60 and FM80 Charge Controllers

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

How to use Auto Equalize on Flexmax 60

Postby pablo on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:44 am

Hey all,

I want to program my Flexmax to equalize my batteries during the afternoon while I am at work.
(because that is when they will be charged up and the sun will be strong)
However, the manual states that I should not put the CC into equalization mode unless the batteries
are nearly full. My batteries won't be nearly full until later in the day while I am gone. So maybe
I am being too literal here, but is it ok to set "auto equalize" up while the batteries are not close
to full? Will the CC still put the batteries through absorb and float 1st before trying to equalize or
will it just blast the batteries full out until my voltage set point has been met for time period?

I've always equalized "in person". Makes me a little nervous to have it go automatically while I am away.

thank you!
pablo

My RE system: Flexmax 60 CC, Xantrex True Charger 40, Samlex SA2000 inverter, Trojan L16 RE 12 volt bank, Solar World 285 panel x 2

Re: How to use Auto Equalize on Flexmax 60

Postby SandyP on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 am

As you have done in the past, best only to do an Equalise when you are there to monitor what is happening.
SandyP
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 8 x 190W 24V Suntech panels (4 strings of 2)
Mate2
Outback FM60 MPPT
12 x 2V Hoppecke GEL 660 Ah C100 - 24V System
Outback VFX3024 Inverter/Charger
Victron BMV-602s
Honda 5.5kW Genset

Postby klundquist on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:19 am

I agree with Sandy. A friend of mine recently blew up a battery while doing an EQ. I can only imagine what might have happened if he had not been there to shut everything off.

Also it looks like you have multiple charge controllers which complicates the problem. Trying to EQ with just solar is tough, especially in the winter. If you can bulk charge the batteries to the absorb voltage with a generator early in the morning on a sunny day then you might have a chance.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby pablo on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:04 am

Thank you. I will follow your advice and only do it in person.
pablo

My RE system: Flexmax 60 CC, Xantrex True Charger 40, Samlex SA2000 inverter, Trojan L16 RE 12 volt bank, Solar World 285 panel x 2

Return to FLEXmax Charge Controllers