Significant release announcement

A discussion about the WattPlot software tool for processing Mate data.

Moderators: intellact, OutBack Moderator Team

Significant release announcement

Postby intellact on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:50 pm

Attention WattPlot users & interested parties:

I am pleased to officially announce the release of WattPlot 4.2! \:D/

Major enhancements:
  • Built-in TCP/IP support for connection to your MATE
  • Amperage truncation compensation for MX-60s
  • Support for new FLEXmax 60
  • Daily flag in Excel summary for FnDC Charge-Parameters-Met
WattPlot 4.2 also corrects a number of issues with the Device Wizard, FX warnings, and minimum SOC storage. For full details, check out our update page. Of course this release includes the enhancements from the 4.1 release, which were mainly concerned with error detection and dealing with bad data.

The current official release is version 4.2.4, which has been out in the field for over a week. Even if the new features would not apply to your installation, I still strongly recommend an update to pick up the bug fixes and get the stability of the latest release.

I also suggest that users who update their WattPlot also download the revised User's Guide to keep their documentation current as well.

As always, the update is free, and there is no need to re-activate your license.

Happy energy production! :grin:
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
intellact
OutBack Guru

Re: Significant release announcement

Postby blackswan555 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:10 am

When will PRO be updated to include flexmax 80 and the latest mate revision ?
Have a good one
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby intellact on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:30 am

blackswan555 wrote:When will PRO be updated to include flexmax 80 and the latest mate revision ?

Hi Tim:

Are you kidding? WattPlot PRO was compatible with the FLEXmax 80 and the latest MATE revision before they were even released to the public! :smile:

If you ever want to check out what has been added or corrected in any WattPlot release, our extensive Release Page details every change that we make. :cool: (The enhancements you ask about were part of version 4.0. You can also read there that support for the FLEXmax 60 came out with version 4.2.2!)

WattPlot 4.2 in general has been settling in nicely, although any significant release that takes great strides forward usually takes a few baby-steps back in the process. :wink: (The nature of the beast, I guess.) That being said, WattPlot version 4.2.5 (the current release) addressed a few issues with Remote operations using Network Files and other minor issues. I can confidently recommend that WattPlot users can safely update their copies to 4.2.5 and derive benefits in features and accuracy from doing so. \:D/
intellact
OutBack Guru

Postby blackswan555 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:50 am

I Have ( I think) the latest version, but I can not find for example gen warm up or cool down or any reference to MX 80 in Pro tools/ mate settings, Am I missing something ?
Have a good one
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Postby intellact on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:51 pm

blackswan555 wrote:I can not find for example gen warm up or cool down or any reference to MX 80 in Pro tools/ mate settings, Am I missing something?

Nope. I'm missing something. :oops: You are right - I had forgotten - there were a few new MATE settings that I had not yet released (in terms of storing the values). Functionally, WattPlot fully supports the FLEXmax 80 status monitoring and the new MATE firmware for communications.

And here I was thinking that very few people were actually using the MATE settings screens! :roll:

I will expedite the testing on the new settings and get them out there ASAP.

Thanks for the nudge, Tim! :smile:
intellact
OutBack Guru

Postby blackswan555 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Thank`s

And here I was thinking that very few people were actually using the MATE settings screens! :roll:

lol, Being reasonably new to outback (well all solar) products, I have found it a valuable tool for finding my way round the settings and menu`s, The explanations of what settings do is particularly useful, It is a shame like all other`s, You can not use it to program / download settings, But all in all I am happy with my investment, I use it virtually every time I go to a site and would recommend to other installers.

Keep up the good work :grin:
Have a good one
Tim
ps if you would like to add multi site support to the next version that would be nice \:D/
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Postby intellact on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback, Tim! :grin:

blackswan555 wrote:if you would like to add multi site support to the next version that would be nice

I have to remember to be more careful when I say this, but multi-site support is there... sort of. (Yes, it could be more extensive and user-friendly)

Under the PRO Tools menu, you can add Systems - essentially client sites. You can then store copies of the clients' solrwind.ini configuration file (complete with all of their WattPlot and MATE settings), in the folders created by the adding their System. You can also store any plot logs that you get from the client in those folders. :smile:

When you open the free WattPlot VIEWER program, it will prompt you to select the client System that you want to view data for, and will then essentially put you into that environment, as if you were running WattPlot on your client's system. You can view their MATE settings and their performance history (if you have it). :cool:

For more information, check out pages 49-51 of the WattPlot User's Guide.

:?: What else might you be looking for when you talk about multi-site support? Always looking for good ideas... :wink:
intellact
OutBack Guru

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:15 am

We discussed before about using the solar ini file , I have tried it , It is fine as long as the system voltages are the same one after another, however if I go to a 48 v site after a 24v it go`s a bit wrong, but I can enter different site`s so quickly now it hardly matters :grin:

What else would I like it to do ? :-k :-k I use it as an installer tool, As I said I have found it very useful for initially finding my way round the mate setting`s and now still use that part of it often, I do not have solar, So I find it very useful for checking on mate possible settings when not on a site, When I get to a site, I usually plug it in as soon as I get there, It acts as a good display system so that I can see what everything is doing at a glance, It would be nice if I could organize the sites into easerly accessibly folders. It would also be nice if on the maintainence tab`s, you could enter your SG`s for example on an EQ in a more spread-sheet type format, Maybe exportable as a spreadsheet / line plot,
So basicaly , I want to be able to tun up at a site, Open folder for Site "A" All component`s are loaded, I have some tab`s for maintainance history, I can go look at SG history, gen service history etc in some sort of side by side / easy to compare format, I can do an EQ then email the customer a nice little printout, I can then go to site "B" and do the same.
Of course I would like it to fully interface and read/programe mate,,,,,Remotely :smile: But from what I understand the is the mate`s fault it can not be done ,
Have a good one
Tim
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Postby blackswan555 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Nudge :grin:
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Postby intellact on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:16 am

blackswan555 wrote:

Nudge :grin:

No nudge necessary this time, Tim. (Say that 3 times fast!)

I have been waylaid by some significant events here that I hope I will soon be able to share with the forum. 8-[ Interesting times!

Meanwhile, the next release of WattPlot (4.2.6) addresses a couple of FLEXmax 80 issues, including the MATE settings, which I am scrambling to finish now. The problem is, not having a FLEXmax80 myself, it takes a long time to slog through multiple OutBack manuals and sections to try and gather up the goods on these CC settings - What do they do? What are the max/min/default values? (I think I may have set the bar too high for WattPlot's capabilities! :wink: )

If all goes according to plan, WattPlot 4.2.6 should be out by the end of this week. :smile:

:arrow: Meanwhile, I can't resist a small teaser on our next major development...

Please contact me if you or one of your clients need to
monitor several OutBack installations on one screen, and you are interested in some field testing of the slickest WattPlot tool yet.
intellact
OutBack Guru

Postby blackswan555 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:16 pm
If all goes according to plan, WattPlot 4.2.6 should be out by the end of this week. :smile:

Is that a Spanish week ? :grin:

Nudge

Tim
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Postby intellact on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:32 pm

blackswan555 wrote:Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:16 pm

Is that a Spanish week ? :grin:

Nudge

Tim

Hi Tim and all!

Okay - it seems that my problem is not with getting releases out the door but in getting the word out. :wink:

WattPlot 4.2.6 was released on January 17 - the end of the week mentioned in my Jan. 13 post! :smile: Any WattPlot user can update their copy for free by heading over to the WattPlot Update Page.

As a matter of fact, WattPlot 4.3 is about to go into official field trials! :grin: Yes, the development continues!

WattPlot 4.3 has a MATE communications test tool built right into the configuration window, allowing you to instantly confirm communication settings. It also supports separate configurations for multiple systems, allowing dealers and installers to select the system they wish to monitor - precisely what was discussed earlier in this thread. :cool: (Tim - I will connect up with you off-line so you can get an earlier 4.3 BETA copy.)

I will try to be better about announcing official releases on this forum.
intellact
OutBack Guru

Postby blackswan555 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:25 am

Have a good one
Tim
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

Postby intellact on Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:36 am

intellact wrote:As a matter of fact, WattPlot 4.3 is about to go into official field trials! :grin: Yes, the development continues!

WattPlot 4.3 has a MATE communications test tool built right into the configuration window, allowing you to instantly confirm communication settings. It also supports separate configurations for multiple systems, allowing dealers and installers to select the system they wish to monitor - precisely what was discussed earlier in this thread. :cool: (Tim - I will connect up with you off-line so you can get an earlier 4.3 BETA copy.)

I will try to be better about announcing official releases on this forum.

So here goes an official announcement...

WattPlot 4.3 is now in Beta Field Trials and any current WattPlot user can participate. \:D/ Head over to our field test page for more details.

Be the first on the block to get the latest features, enhancements, and :oops: bug fixes! :wink:
intellact
OutBack Guru

Postby AMILLS1000 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I would like to connect my Mate through TCP/IP or serial to Network connection. I have read the January 2007 case study but it requires modification to the pins. Does anyone know of a product I can buy that would just work e.g. serial to Network adapter? Thank you for the help in adavance. Angela
AMILLS1000

Postby tallgirl on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:47 am

AMILLS1000 wrote:I would like to connect my Mate through TCP/IP or serial to Network connection. I have read the January 2007 case study but it requires modification to the pins. Does anyone know of a product I can buy that would just work e.g. serial to Network adapter? Thank you for the help in adavance. Angela

No, the Mate requires external power to drive the serial communication interface. That's what pins 4 and 7 are used for -- powering the serial communication interface.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby AMILLS1000 on Sat May 18, 2013 10:13 am

Hi Tallgirl,
I purchased your Greenlogger Lite and need support. Can you please reach out to me.
Thank you.
AMILLS1000

Postby fixfox on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:07 am

So here goes an official announcement...

WattPlot 4.3 is now in Beta Field Trials and any current WattPlot user can participate. \:D/ Head over to our field test page for more details.

Be the first on the block to get the latest features, enhancements, and :oops: bug fixes! :wink:

Any info on current projects ? Wattplot 5.0 ?

Has been a while...
fixfox
OutBack Expert

My RE system: SenerSun SSM36A100BS1-A (100W) :: 6strings of 4 :: 2400w
Flexmax 80
GVFx 3024e :: Input 24v dc, output 240v ac
Hub4
Mate-B
FlexnetDC
Northstar NSB100 FT (12v,100AH) : 5 strings of 2 :: 24v 500AH

Postby intellact on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:54 pm

fixfox wrote:Any info on current projects ? Wattplot 5.0 ?

Has been a while...

Yes, it has certainly been a while. I have been swamped with other projects, including some custom R/E programming and a lot of non R/E stuff. :???:

However, the die-hard WattPlot fans have been keeping up the pressure, and every once in a while, WattPlot 5 takes another leap forward.

For those who are new to this topic, the original WattPlot was written in Visual Basic. It progressed up to version 4.6.xx, which is maintained but will not be further developed. The original WattPlot does not support the MATE3, for example.

WattPlot 5 is the next generation of WattPlot. It is written in VB.Net, which gives us powerful new capabilities, but also introduces some serious challenges when reproducing existing functionality. WattPlot 4 was incredibly rich, and we don't want to lose any of that moving forward. :smile:

I don't know when WattPlot 5 will be officially released - probably still a few months away at least. What I can tell you is that it is getting pretty close. Here are some of the things that are up and running already:

:!: The MATE Communicaton Engine for WattPlot 5, which is compatible with the MATE3, has been out in the field for some time, proving itself in new applications like WattPlot VisualMATE.

:!: Completely resizable plots with more display options and improved accuracy.

:!: Awesome new interval reporting capabilities.

:!: Plotting from internal MATE3 data logs.

:!: Option to view the performance of all system devices on a single plot.

:!: Greatly expanded Automatic Actions, with multiple user-defined conditions.

:!: Built-in VisualMATE display option.

:!: Automatic licensing by email.

:!: And expected things like the snapshot bars - all there, working, and ready to go.

Today, I was working on implementing version 5 of the original WattPlot TCP Server, allowing WattPlot to distribute a single MATE/MATE3 data stream to multiple clients. I may even consider releasing a little applet that will convert MATE3 data to the original MATE format over TCP/IP so that the old WattPlot 4.6 will be compatible with the MATE3. :-k

So there you have it - most of the news from here at WattPlot. I do have one other item that is a bit too early to share - a piece of custom programming that we are now turning into a new product. I think there will be a lot of interest when that's ready...
intellact
OutBack Guru

Return to WattPlot by Intellact