My Outback System Schematic

A place to post images of your OutBack Power System

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

My Outback System Schematic

Postby grenadapalace on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:51 am

Hi,

Thought this might be handy for others making up their own system.

Dan
Attachments
GD_GP_RENEW_SCHMETIC_V100.pdf
(163.03 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
grenadapalace
Forum Member

My RE system: 4x VFXR3048E, 4x FM80, Mate 3, Flexnet, HUB10, 4x Shunts

Re: My Outback System Schematic

Postby blackswan555 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:09 pm

You may want to have a rethink on the DC breaker sizing, 3048s usually run through a 175 amp DC breaker each and if you have a master as you show, 300A may cause nuisance tripping, A " LARGE" class T fuse is more normal there (500 to 600 amp)
Breakers, http://www.outbackpower.com/outback-pro ... ory_id=451 (PNL-175-DC175 Amp, 125Vdc, 3/8” stud terminals)

Tim

Note, you call them MCBs, On the DC side make sure they are suitably rated DC breakers, There is a big difference between AC and DC rated,
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby grenadapalace on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:26 am

Tim,

Many thanks for you help.

On the DC input side to the inverters, I calculated that they will be running at around 63 Amps each (based on 3KW output at 240V) - with allowing for a surge I upp'ed this to 80 Amps. If you still think I need to up this to 175 Amps per inverter, I will change these breakers.

Note all my breakers are Outback units, DC for the DC side, and AC (bi-directional as I intend to grid tie) for the AC side.

The big 300 Amp MCB on the main battery out is a DC Blue Sea unit. I will order the 500A Class T fuse too...

My use of the term MCB, just refers to Miniture Circut Breaker, i.e. they are not huge and they break when over rated. It is not intended to refer to AC or DC. Sorry for this.

Cheers for all your help.

Dan
grenadapalace
Forum Member

Postby grenadapalace on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:07 am

Dear all,

I have made a few updates to my wiring plan and have attached as a PowerPoint PPT (which can be edited) - so - if you want to alter - you can have a plan of your own system.

Dan
Attachments
GD_GP_RENEW_SCHMETIC_V200.pptx
(203.97 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
grenadapalace
Forum Member

Postby blackswan555 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:23 pm

If you still think I need to up this to 175 Amps per inverter, I will change these breakers.
The 3048 will happily surge to over 100a DC for 5 seconds, Which will cause nuisance tripping on an 80a, You could go with a 125 amp to save a bit of money, But I prefer the 175a setup for 48v, The breakers are there to protect the wiring etc (which of course should be sized accordingly) Not the inverter

An old thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5246

link to OB wiring diagrams http://www.outbackpower.com/wiring-diagrams

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby grenadapalace on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:08 am

Update,

Just about finished, one inverter/inverter fuse to add to the stack/fuse box. I am using a squirrel cage 4ft long fan (only 5" square and 30W consumption at 220V) ) in the very corner to blow cool air over/under inverters (I live in the Caribbean so ambient temp around 32C (89.6F), driven by one of the relays. Had space issues so had to build my own version of the Outback system, not easy but now understand every nut and bolt and wire, why and when...

Batteries arrive next week, then onto testing...

Dan
Attachments
IMG_0399.jpg
My OB system...
grenadapalace
Forum Member

Postby Mike Curran on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Hey Dan, that's a very neat install. Sounds like it was DIY - bravo =D>

I see 4 FM80s but only 3 appear in the schematic from your 1st post. Is the 4th for your wind turbine? - Mike
Mike Curran
Forum Czar

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Postby grenadapalace on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Mike,

Cheers for the compliment firstly. Yes it was a diy install, from my schematic but adding a fourth FM80 and inverter just to be sure (I have an all electric car which I am going to charge from surplus solar using this device https://guide.openenergymonitor.org/int ... /openevse/). I added another bay of PV too, just to be sure. The wind genny chargers the batteries directly, it’s a zephyr wind dolphin pro. Made just like the outback kit, solid as a rock. The panel you see that controls the turbine enables it to run hard/soft or stopped, all with web access too. Once the batteries are charged, it stops itself. You can program bat parameters too, so it won’t conflict with the FM80’s.

Spent a whole day testing connections, just to be in the safe side. Batteries arrive next week and, fingers (and toes) crossed, the fruits of my labour of the last 4 months will flower :-)

I shall update this after the big switch on...

Dan
grenadapalace
Forum Member

Postby grenadapalace on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 am

Update after the big switch on.

Firstly, the OB kit is lovely kit. Made to last... Its lovely putting it together...

My batteries (12x Leoch 250Ah 12V Tubular Gel) arrived, put together the battery bank to give me around 57.4V at 750AHr (at perfect float charge level). One last check on my wiring and did the big switch on... The wizard on the Mate 3 is easy, couple of other settings to make and away you go... The house is now being run, electric car too, and all is fine...

My thoughts...
1. I must have read the instructions for this kit 100 times plus, do so if you want to make life easy... It will work first time...
2. Dont scrimp on PV and FM80's, dull days normally come in 3's...
3. I understand I could have bought the whole system made-up from Outback, but if you do it yourself, are careful (think of how airplanes are wired, as neat as neat can be) - then do this for yourself, you will take pride in everything you switch on... (TV, PC, Lights, Heating, AC, etc.) for years to come.
4. Use Optics, the most comprehensive information about your system from anywhere in the world... Its very very good...
5. Final thought, make sure very nut and bolt is tight, like torqued tight as per the spec and everything is earthed well (I fitted an extra earth rod outside to be extra safe).

Still seems funny to be in my AC chilled office, typing this on my iMac, listening to music on my Hi-Fi, all from the sun/wind and the OB kit (and loads of hard work of course :-).

Good luck with your own installs...

Dan
grenadapalace
Forum Member

Return to My OutBack Power System