Drastic swing in battery bank voltage

A place to post images of your OutBack Power System

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Drastic swing in battery bank voltage

Postby nestsman on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:53 pm

I have a system where I think the battery bank is failing. The voltage drops down to 11.1 sometimes during the day. This causes the circuit breaker to trip. After I turn on the Honda gas generator, the voltage showing on the MATE goes up to 12 volts 30 seconds after starting the generator. How can it go from tripping to circuit breaker to 12 volts so quickly?

Thank you.
nestsman
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: Outback inverters, charger controllers and Mate monitoring device.

Re: Drastic swing in battery bank voltage

Postby Kurt Lundquist on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:28 pm

As batteries age they do not have the same capacity as when it is new. It sounds like your battery capacity is less than it used to be so it takes little time for the voltage to drop down or spring back up again. If you have a flooded battery bank I suggest you check specific gravity. It may be time to equalize the bank. If your batteries are sealed then you could do a load test. Speak to the manufacturer or your place of purchase for further details on how to determine the state of the battery bank. Also don't forget to check for loose or corroded battery connections. Loose/corroded connections can cause the same problem.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Re: Drastic swing in battery bank voltage

Postby blackswan555 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:37 am

After I turn on the Honda gas generator, the voltage showing on the MATE goes up to 12 volts 30 seconds after starting the generator.
That is reasonably normal at start of charge, How long does it take to get to 14.4v ?( bulk stage) How long do you hold it at 14.4v ? (Absorb stage, 14.4v is for FLA)

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to My OutBack Power System