GEN START

A place to post images of your OutBack Power System

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

GEN START

Postby Kyrs on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:17 pm

Can anybody suggest a generator that would work perfectly with my VFX 3648 Inverter for the gen auto start function on the mate?
Kyrs
Forum Member

My RE system: 2 VFX 3648
1 MX80
1 MX60
1 Hub10
1 Mate

Re: GEN START

Postby Kent Osterberg on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:44 am

All new Kohler and Onan generators are available with two-wire remote start circuitry.
Kent Osterberg
Forum Emperor

My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Postby DennisM on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:36 pm

If you prefer longevity, low fuel consumption, 1800 rpm's.... a diesel IS in your future. Hardy Diesel / Solar is a reliable company.

Dennis
FW1000 2-FX3648's 2-FM80's FNDC Hub10 Mate2 RTS X240 48v-900Ah Rolls Surrette S600 battery bank 2 arrays of 3X3 Sharp 216's (3888W stc) 10kW Isuzu genset Separate water system Gundfos 6SQF-2, IO101, CU200 control, powered by 2 Sanyo HIT200's in series
DennisM
Forum Guru

Postby Vic on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:15 am

Hi, Welcome to the Forum,

The answer to this question is very subjective. It all depends ... If you will use a generator many hours per year, then a Diesel is a good choice. For less-frequent use, an LP (propane) fueled genset might be just fine.

When you get a chance if you could update your Profile, or Signature the added info will help others give appropriate advice, without you having to manually fill in this info on na case-by-case basis.

I assume that you are Off-Grid, but the demands palced on your system, and the ability of your system to produce Renewable Energy can have a large effect on the generator required. Other factors include the availability of service from factory-trained personned, vs DIY service. If you do not want to dispense lfluid fuel into the genset, this, too, will affect the choice.

For Autostart, two-wire start, built into the genset by its manufacturer will be important.

In general, try to buy a name brand genset. If possible buy one that has been designed and packaged by this name brand manufacturer, if you are Off Grid, and plan to stay that way for a decade or more. If your site is a weekend cabin, perhap

The Honda Inverter generators are great as an initial/backup/portable generator, which has great utility, BUT have not seen any of these with two-wire autostart. The EU 6500isa Does have an auto choke, at least, but the Honda remote start kit requires three wires IIRC. With more info on your exact situation will help you get the best advice.

Personally, here, have a Diesel as the main genset, and several of the Honda Inverter types for use around the property ... YMMV. Good Luck, Vic
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.
Vic
Forum Czar

Postby lala on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 pm

My generac has a 4 wire start, is there any way to get this down to a 2 wire start so I can use the autostart feature?
lala
Forum Member

My RE system: outback vfx3524 inverter/charger
midnite solar e-panel
outback mx-60 charge controller
mate & hub
southwest air-x-land 24 wind generator, stop switch, lightning arrestor
generac 17Kw lp generator
6x 175 watt sunworld pv panels
rolls surrette s-560 battery bank

Postby crewzer on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:44 pm

OutBack typically suggests Atkinson interface products. See: http://atkinsonelectronics.com/list.asp?lt=gen

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
090805 System Configuration: 966 W STC (849 W CEC PTC) 48V PV array, FM80, 24V x 400 Ah AGM battery bank, FX2524T w/ BTS, Hub-4 & Mate; Link-10 w/ BTS, & E-Panel.
crewzer
Forum Emperor

Postby blackswan555 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:17 am

Try to make sure it does not have it`s own cool down time built in to the gen, The FX does not like it,
Have a good one.
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby HughF on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:11 pm

blackswan555 wrote:Try to make sure it does not have it`s own cool down time built in to the gen, The FX does not like it,
Have a good one.
Tim

Is this because of the following scenario:

1. FX tells the genset to turn off, drops the input and switches loads to the inverter/battery
2. Genset enters cool down phase but is still outputting 220v or whatever
3. FX 'sees' 220v at it's input and decides to connect to it
4. Just as it's connected, the genset powers off and the lights then flicker etc...

I had this happening on a system I helped configure earlier this year and I thought this was the cause but never found any documentation to back up my theory.

Hugh
HughF
Forum Virtuoso

My RE system: vfx3048e, FW500, 200aH Alcad NiCads, FN-DC, 2.5kw Solar, FM60, Midnite MNPV3 combiner

Postby blackswan555 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:50 am

Spot on Huge !
The are two way`s to get rid of it, disable the gen cool down in the gen it-self or add a contactor (large relay) driven off the aux ( if you chop the gen before it picks it back up , it is seamless) , You can get it very close by tweaking the ADV/FX/ generator AC 2 transfer delay down to as little as works fine ( I have 2 set @ 3 and 1 set @ 1 cycle`s, ) you may get a little flicker of an error occasionally on change over, but if you look the other way :smile: , It does not seem to bother it, Also set the voltage lower limit to as close as you can get away with, I can still just notice it, My customers, their pc`s, plasma`s etc do not,
There is no setting in outback to sort it.

Have a good one
Tim

Hey outback !!!!! Please think about adding this setting :grin:
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Re: Wired GEN START Honda EU3000is Remote

Postby avidflyier on Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:30 am

Good news!
Atkinson Electronics, Inc has an adapter to start the Honda EU3000is from the outback VFX3648 inverter or any other OB inverter.
The module is a GSCM-mini about $174.00 They would not ship to me in Big Lake Alaska so we sent it to my daughter in Va. Go figure!
http://www.atkinsonelectronics.com
The connections look difficult, but on close reading it is actually fairly simple.
I ordered one specifically set up for Honda EU3000is.

Pinellis Power Products sells an auto choke. Now I can leave home in the cold dark days of December, for a few days.
avidflyier
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: Presently, 960 watts PV on Self made Alminum tracker. Flex Max 80 charge controller. Six, 6 volt golf Cart batteries at 660 amp hours. Accurate Tool 1500 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

This is Currently running my living room. TV, Mac, Printer and a couple CFL lights.

We are looking to get a Out Back Sin Wave inverter for off grid.

All that I am assembling and testing (learning) will be disassembled and used on my off grid cabin in Alaska.

Return to My OutBack Power System