FX series "Internal fan failure warning"

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in RV Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

FX series "Internal fan failure warning"

Postby joe88 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:14 am

Hello,

About a week ago I bought a 2008 Foretravel with an Outback Power Systems inverter. It's an FX or VFX, but I don't know which one. Yesterday morning I noticed the inverter fan running continuously. I looked at the inverter and the led's that are visible through a clear cover are showing:

Battery: "Full" led is green
Status: "Inverter" led is not lit, "AC in" led is yellow, and the "Error" led is blinking red.

I checked the remote panel and found:
Everything in the "error" list was a "no".
In the "warning" list, the only "yes" was about the fan. It reads as follows:

STATUS/FX/WARN---P00
internal fan YES
failure detected
Down Up Top Port

While looking at the warning, the "yes" changed to a "no" and back to a "yes" a couple of times, but most of the time it says "yes".

Right now the fan on the inverter is running continuously and all else seems normal. The compartment where the inverter is located seems to stay warm all the time. If I leave the compartment door open while parked, the fan eventually shuts off, but the warning remains.

Also, I'm having a charging problem on the engine start batteries. I don't think the two issues are related but I wanted to mention it just in case. The engine start batteries aren't being charged by the engine. We drove about 60 >miles on Friday with the generator running and a switch labeled "boost" turned on so that the generator and inverter would charge both the house batteries and the engine start batteries. Yesterday I took the engine start batteries >out of the RV to clean all connections and get them load tested. The boost switch was off before I removed the batteries. To my knowledge, with the boost switch off, the inverter is unaware of the engine start batteries.

Does anyone know what might be causing the error light and warning message? Right now we are in Tucson AZ and are heading to Portland Or and then Kamloops BC. Any recommendations on where to get it looked at between >Tucson and Portland or is the head office in Arlington Washington the best bet?

Last question is how do I find which Model of inverter I have? The documentation I have doesn't say and there isn't any label on the outside of the inverter.

Thanks for any help - Joe
joe88

Re: FX series "Internal fan failure warning"

Postby klundquist on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Hi Joe,

I suggest you call OutBack support. They can hook you up with an internal fan and instructions on how to replace it in the field or make arrangements to have it repaired in Arlington WA. You will need to figure out an address to have the fan shipped to if you want to do the repair in the field.

360.618.4363 is the direct tech line.

For your second problem I'd check to see if the alternator is putting out power. You might want to call the shop that you bought the RV from. If they can't help you might want to try the team at Firefly Integrations/Home Energy in Indiana http://www.fireflyintegrations.com/contact.html. They have extensive experience with integrating OutBack inverters into RVs. It is possible they even set up your RV. A wiring diagram of the power system would help.

Good luck,

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby joe88 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:19 am

@ Kurt. Thanks for the tip on calling their tech support line. They are sending me a new "internal" fan, $30.00 including shipping. They said it's not too difficult to replace, so should be back to normal soon.

Joe
joe88

Postby shastatodd on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:23 am

joe88 wrote:@ Kurt. Thanks for the tip on calling their tech support line. They are sending me a new "internal" fan, $30.00 including shipping. They said it's not too difficult to replace,

i have a sealed, gtfx2524 which loses its fan around every 18 months... and i can assure you, unwiring the ac and dc sides and yarding this 60# inverter off the wall to change an internal fan every year and a half is a pain in the ass and smacks of a very poor design.

i am curious if anyone has tried to source a longer lasting replacement? this is ridiculous!

todd

AD1212UB-F51:
BALL bearings
12 volt
0.07 amps
0.84 watts
3200 rpm
122.0 cfm
shastatodd
OutBack Expert

My RE system: SYSTEM ONE:
A single, turbocharged GVFX-3648 inverter (includes DT kludge for generator charging); 4.5 kW STC of actively tracked PV; turbocharged MX60 charge controller; eight, Surrette FC-420 lead calcium wet cell batteries; E-Meter (Link-10).

SYSTEM TWO:
A single, sealed GTFX-2524 inverter; 2.0 kW STC of actively tracked PV; turbocharged FM60 charge controller; four, Surrette FC-420 lead calcium wet cell batteries; E-Meter (Link-10).

The combined inverter systems typically sell an average of 20 kWh/day.
Peak summer selling is around 40 kWh/day.

Postby davidryan on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 pm

I am having same issue
davidryan

My RE system: RAM 16gb
Hard drice 1TB

Postby naumanchughtai on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 am

I have also had fan failures on my GVFX3048E inverters. I believe in my case the failures result from the extremely high dust and high temperature environment in which I live!

As an alternative someone can try to order the same fan from ebay from a seller called "mynewfan" this one is priced around USD13. I would recommend a special treated version of the same fan which is sealed water proof to IP55 standards available from the same seller at a slightly higher price - this should in principle weather the elements including significantly better and give longer replacement cycles. Have used the IP55 type in one of my inverters and so far after about 18 months it is still running fine.

Another option is the Sunon MFC0381V1-Q000M99 FAN, available from www.aliexpress.com for around the same price. This fan has so called "maglev" bearings, using magnetically suspended bearing control which in principle should do much better than metal bearings in dusty environments. I have just ordered one so cannot say how they hold up. This fan is rated for use upto 70C and has a plastic housing and fan unlike the aluminium casing and blades of the original.

Hope someone finds this useful.
naumanchughtai

My RE system: radian 7kva with 2fx80s and 8 x 12v 200ah batteries mate3 and hub4 . 40x200w poly panels

Postby shastatodd on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:51 am

the internal fan on my unsealed 3648 lasts ~4 years. the sealed 2524's lasts around 1.5 years. these are both the same fan. i have similar box fans cooling HID light fixtures that have run 12 hours a day for 7 years (so far) and still work fine. as the inside of the sealed unit is clean and as it is not a bearing, or run time issue, i suspect is the slightly higher heat from running inside the unit. that being said, my 2524 typical sells 1 kW which is only 40% of full load. this time when i open it to change the fan, i am going to get out my sawzall to cut a seal-able access hole to change this from the outside without having to unwire and remove this from the wall.

i always like outback products, but this and the fan on the mx60 which involves totally disassembling the unit, including taking the fets off the heat sink to replace is absolutely absurd!
shastatodd
OutBack Expert

My RE system: SYSTEM ONE:
A single, turbocharged GVFX-3648 inverter (includes DT kludge for generator charging); 4.5 kW STC of actively tracked PV; turbocharged MX60 charge controller; eight, Surrette FC-420 lead calcium wet cell batteries; E-Meter (Link-10).

SYSTEM TWO:
A single, sealed GTFX-2524 inverter; 2.0 kW STC of actively tracked PV; turbocharged FM60 charge controller; four, Surrette FC-420 lead calcium wet cell batteries; E-Meter (Link-10).

The combined inverter systems typically sell an average of 20 kWh/day.
Peak summer selling is around 40 kWh/day.

Return to RV Applications