Generator & Pump Issue

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Generator & Pump Issue

Postby lukebarber on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:01 am

I have a small dairy operation. My Pump Saver mod.# 231, 230 volt is over 20 years old and just started switching off when trying to reestablish pressure. I have a 11kw generator. While the generator was running well pump came on. After about 2-3 minutes of normal function the well pump stopped pumping. Will now only build 2-3 lbs. then switches off, so I have to keep throwing the fused breaker box switch off/on in order to build pressure. Is there any risk to the pump if I remove the pump saver switch? Can I use an overload relay like http://www.clrwtr.com/PDF/ABB-Controls/ABB-Thermal-Overload-Relays.pdf instead?
lukebarber
Forum Junior Member

Re: Generator & Pump Issue

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:19 pm

I think your pump is dead, 20 years old, Bearings and or seals are on way out, symptoms you describe are typical of old age, Get a new modern pump driven with a VFD , better all the way round, would possibly pay for itself in a reasonably short time,

Tim
VFD http://www.grundfos.com/service/encyclo ... drive.html
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby sparksalot on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:27 pm

No, no overloads can replace Pump Saver, there are other mfg'r of similar units...but bad a pump/motor may be only fix needed.

X2 on 20 y.o. pump/motor being on it's last leg. Don't throw money at a dying cow. :wink:

VFD has to be very specific to single phase input if 3 phase electric service does not exist at dariy.
sparksalot
Forum Guru

My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:19 pm

Some more info on your pump, Size of motor ? what it does & for how long day/week etc as the can be significant savings made by over-sizing it and then slowing with VFD (or speeding up, you can run a motor at 110% with VFD, And you get soft start in the package :-)) A very rough example would be if you run a motor at 66% of max, It will only be using 25% of current it would be at 100%, so for example say you now have a 2KW 1ph,you could install a 3KW 3ph (you can use another 1ph, but 3ph is more efficient motor and usually a bit cheaper to buy) run it at 66% to give same flow rate but only be using about 750w of power, & in practice most pumps are oversized for what they do anyway, ( Its a plumbers thing, They look at the numbers and add a bit "just to be on the safe side",,,,, Or cover their backs as it is more known in the trade lol)

To add for everyone, If you are off grid and pump water (most with water storage or well) or you have central heating circulation pumps Arrrggg they can be the worst as although they are only around 110w at mid setting, they run for many hours, VFD is worth having a good look at as a lot of your consumption will be for that task, You can retro fit something like http://www.mpresco.com/wp-content/uploa ... %202.0.pdf to you pressure/well pump ( you can dial in pressure/flow & it is stable, no more hot/cold/hot showers) or for your CH/circ pump http://us.grundfos.com/products/find-product/alpha.html have seen savings of more than 80% with those,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to Backup Applications