Charging batteries from the grid with gvfx3648

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Charging batteries from the grid with gvfx3648

Postby fabatera on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi all!

I´m looking for help on how to charge battery using grid energy with a gvfx3648.

I can use mate3 or axs port.

regards
fabatera
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: Brazil
9 GVFX 3648 Inverters - 3 phase - 127V - Grid Tie
30KW PV Panels
9 Charge Controlers
3 MATE3
1 AXS PORT
3 HUB
30 KW Lead Acid Battery Bank
1 Electric Car Mitsubishi MIEV
1 Electric Car Charger Station

Re: Charging batteries from the grid with gvfx3648

Postby tallgirl on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Configure the charger.
Tell the charger to do a bulk charge.

That's it.

Surely I'm missing something about the question.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.
tallgirl
Forum Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 8 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH),

Postby fabatera on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks Julie.
I think you got it.

Maybe it´s a too simple question. I´m starting on this system so I don´t know how to tweak it to do what I want.

So, if I don't have sun, command Charge Controller to do a Bulk Charge makes GVFX provide energy from grid?

regards
Fabiano
fabatera
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: Brazil
9 GVFX 3648 Inverters - 3 phase - 127V - Grid Tie
30KW PV Panels
9 Charge Controlers
3 MATE3
1 AXS PORT
3 HUB
30 KW Lead Acid Battery Bank
1 Electric Car Mitsubishi MIEV
1 Electric Car Charger Station

Postby tallgirl on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:46 pm

fabatera wrote:Thanks Julie.
I think you got it.

Maybe it´s a too simple question. I´m starting on this system so I don´t know how to tweak it to do what I want.

So, if I don't have sun, command Charge Controller to do a Bulk Charge makes GVFX provide energy from grid?

regards
Fabiano

Fabiano,

I forget off-hand which Mate 3 button is "Charger", but you can start a Bulk charge any time you like. There are some other settings that can be used to recharge at periodic intervals. I don't use them because my DC array is 2.8kW, so I get plenty of sun on a regular basis.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.
tallgirl
Forum Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 8 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH),

Postby Defender on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:48 pm

Here’s a reply almost 7 years later than the question, but it probably needs to be said: According to the MATE3 owner’s manual (page 124 of my edition), there is a note regarding charging when using the HBX (High Battery Transfer) mode in the Backup configuration. It says, “For best operation, the inverter’s charger should be turned off when HBX mode is in use.” It goes on to state that using the inverter’s charger while in HBX mode creates a potential conflict in charging priorities since “the settings of [the] HBX mode allow it to disconnect from the utility grid whenever it can charge effectively using the renewable source.”

So to simply tell the charger to do a bulk charge if you have no Sun, would work, but if the Sun pops out from behind the clouds, you’d have two sources (grid and PV) competing to charge the batteries, and apparently that prevents the inverter’s charger from working effectively.

The safe bet is to do your grid charge from the inverter at night when there is no possibility for a conflict.

IDEA: There is another note (page 125) that says, "Grid Use Time cannot be used if [the] HBX mode is used." If I could make a suggestion to Outback, I'd like to see a feature that would allow the HBX mode to be in effect, and then have a timed use of the inverter's charger so that during long spells of no Sun, the inverter could charge the batteries from the Grid during guaranteed dark hours (say, from 2 AM to 5 AM -- unless you live at the North Pole where your panels might have an output 24 hours per day during the Summer months).
Defender
Defender
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: FlexPower Two; 2500 Watts of solar panels (currently a mix of Evergreen (5) and Topoint panels (4)); running HBX with an "essential systems" break-out box (other things like arc welders and electric cloths dryers are on only the grid); an A/B switch allows for emergency manual load regulation of high current items.

Return to Backup Applications