Can the overall charging current be limited?

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Can the overall charging current be limited?

Postby Mauricio on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:16 pm

How do we limit the charging current delivered to the battery bank when both the inverter/chargers and charge controller are contributing to the charge?
As per manufacturer specs, the maximum current allowed, in my setup, is 140 Amps.
On a partially cloudy day, when the generator is also running, the charging current to the batteries varies between 90 to 120 Amps, but it will quickly rise to 160/170 Amps when a break in the clouds. I like to keep ADV/FX/CHARGER "Charger Limit" set at 19 AmpAC, but on these variable days, I am forced to reduce it to 12/14 Amps, only to see a low charging current as clouds persist.

I am sure I'm not the only one experiencing a similar problem; I would be interested in knowing how others have overcome this situation.

If there is a current limiting setting, I have not found it.

Thank you
Mauricio
Mauricio - Todos Santos, BCS
http://www.arribadelaroca.com
Mauricio
Forum Expert

My RE system: 24 Kyocera 215W panels, 2 FlexWare500, four VFX3648, series/parallel Quad system, two FlexMax80, X240 transformer, MATE, FN-DC, 12 Surrette Rolls 4Ks25P Batteries ( 4V, 1350 AmpHr), Cummins Onan 20GGMA generator (20 kW, LP Vapor fuelled)

Re: Can the overall charging current be limited?

Postby Matt J on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Hello Mauricio,

There is a way to limit the total current into the batteries for systems that have OutBack inverters and FM charge controllers.
Here are the prerequisites:
1. Must be off-grid FX inverters (cannot use GFX inverters)
2. Must have a Mate3
3. GT mode must be enabled on the FM controllers
4. Must have a Flexnet DC to monitor system current
5. Global Charger Output Control must be enabled on the Mate3. See here for description in manual: http://www.outbackpower.com/pdf/manuals ... _Rev_C.pdf
Matt J

Re: Can the overall charging current be limited?

Postby fixfox on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:58 am

Are there any other usage scenarios for "GT Mode" on Off-Grid inverters (VFx/Fx) ?
fixfox
Forum Expert

My RE system: SenerSun SSM36A100BS1-A (100W) :: 6strings of 4 :: 2400w
Flexmax 80
GVFx 3024e :: Input 24v dc, output 240v ac
Hub4
Mate-B
FlexnetDC
Northstar NSB100 FT (12v,100AH) : 5 strings of 2 :: 24v 500AH

Return to Backup Applications