safely connecting a battery bank

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

safely connecting a battery bank

Postby Megunticook on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Just getting ready to put my grid-tie with battery backup system in service (inspector coming Friday!).

I have 8 6 volt lead acid batteries wired in series (Rolls Surette S-550). I've wired them together and the cables to the inverter are wired at the inverter, but I held off on connecting those to the bank. I have some experience dealing with vehicle batteries but have never handled a bank with this kind of power. What's the safe procedure for making those final connections? With the battery breakers open, and a careful check inside the GSLC to make sure I didn't leave any tools inside or cross up any wiring, my plan was to connect the positive cables to the battery first, then connect the negative cables last. Will be wearing gloves and goggles. Is this the correct way to proceed?

And when disconnecting, always disconnect the negative first?

Thanks for any advice.
Megunticook
OutBack Whiz

My RE system: 6.2 kW solar array
Outback 8048A
GS8048A FLEXpower Radian

Re: safely connecting a battery bank

Postby JRHill on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 pm

If you have to ask this question then you should probably hire a tradesman.
JRHill
OutBack Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Champion 75531i 3100, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Morningstar 15a/48vdc Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with no critical problems.

Postby Megunticook on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 am

Whether or not I hire a tradesman to make the initial connection, it's important for me to know how to properly connect and disconnect the battery bank because there may be situations down the road where that needs to be done and a tradesman is not available.

I probably should've hired a company to install my whole system (I did get proposals from several but because of availability issues and a looming net metering deadline, I ended up doing the entire install myself), but the process of learning how it's done and doing it has given me all kinds of important knowledge that will help me maintain everything well and keep things safe.

I respect the danger of electricity and am trying to educate myself on the safest methods to perform important tasks like disconnecting the battery bank.

So...back to the original question. Breakers open, positive cables first, then negative cables?
Megunticook
OutBack Whiz

My RE system: 6.2 kW solar array
Outback 8048A
GS8048A FLEXpower Radian

Postby JRHill on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 am

Once the loads are shut down and the the breaker is opened, it the negative first, then the positive. Formally, it doesn't matter which cable is removed 1st on a negative ground system but depending on the enclosure or other metal items around, once the neg is removed there'll be no shorting hazard except between the battery terminals.
JRHill
OutBack Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Champion 75531i 3100, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Morningstar 15a/48vdc Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with no critical problems.

Postby Mike Curran on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 am

That's how I would do it. I installed my entire system myself also. As long as your battery->inverter breaker(s) are open you should be okay.

When I added more PV and an FM80 last year I powered down my system, opened the battery breakers and disconnected the positive cable at the battery, making sure it was secured away from the terminal before I started working inside the PSDC enclosure. FYI
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Return to Backup Applications