Electric Coop doesn't pay for any KWH's above what you use..

General Talk

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

billjustbill
Forum Member
My RE system: Beginning to assemble parts for a 3.5kw system with 30 Kaneka fixed panels and building a large tracker wit 12 Kyocera 135 panels. The focus is to be as much off the grid as possible with two GVFX3524 from an eight batteries for a 24v U.S. Battery 840ah bank.

Electric Coop doesn't pay for any KWH's above what you use..

Post by billjustbill » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:37 pm

I ran across a home this morning while out going to a local community wide garage sale. It had a 2500 watt roof top system with a Sunnyboy grid tie inverter.

The owner said they were tied into an electric company that was a Coop here in Texas. This Coop has a use KWH meter and a buy-back meter. As I understood the owner's issue with the Coop, it is that the Coop credits each KWH generated at full value against all KWHours the home uses each month. (Simple Example: Generate 1,000 KWH and house useage is 1,000 KWH means zero electric bill) But, with any surplus KWHours going back into their grid, there is ZERO payment for them just because THEY ARE A Coop electric company.

Was that the intent of the law when the buy-back was originally written?
Any of you run across this kind of grid tie agreement?

Thanks,
Bill
Be Not the First on Which the New is Tried,
Nor the Last to Lay the Old Aside

tallgirl
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 8 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH),

Re: Electric Coop doesn't pay for any KWH's above what you u

Post by tallgirl » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:43 pm

Could be worse - I live in Austin and I buy at $0.13-ish and sell at $0.09-ish. So, even if I make more than I use, I still pay ...
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.

remoteone
Forum Member
My RE system: Radian 2-GS8048A, 3-FM80, Mate3, Hub10, 36-ReneSola JC305-24/Ab, 2-GSLC175-PV-120/240 Load Center,16-Surrette S-550 Batteries, Onan 35kw generator

Post by remoteone » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:02 pm

I'm on a Coop also and face the same thing. If I produce more power than I use I don't get a credit. This is on a monthly basis also so any surplus I put back into the line I loose when I start a new month billing cycle. My bill is never zero since they tag you with a usage fee.

Coyote Flats
Forum Member
My RE system: Flex ax 80 1000 watts solar 840 amp hour battery mate 3 VFX3524 off grid

Post by Coyote Flats » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:43 pm

We are different in northern Canada because some places have 24 hour sun in summer and dark all winter you can bank your extra credits for winter.

tallgirl
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 8 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH),

Post by tallgirl » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:03 am

remoteone wrote:I'm on a Coop also and face the same thing. If I produce more power than I use I don't get a credit. This is on a monthly basis also so any surplus I put back into the line I loose when I start a new month billing cycle. My bill is never zero since they tag you with a usage fee.
My bill can be negative, but I have to produce ($0.143 / $0.097) times more energy than I consume to get there. I've been producing about 8kWh per day more than I consume which should give me yet another negative bill this cycle.

My battery bank is on its last legs after about 8 years and I'm trying to decide if I go with something huge, like a large bank of Surrettes (8 x S-600s) and try for a bit of daily cycling so I can use more of what I produce or if I go back to a smaller bank and save on battery costs.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.