General Talk

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

jmartell
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: FLEXpower ONE

greenLogger Lite Experience?

Post by jmartell » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Hey everyone,

Anyone have any experience with the greenLogger Lite device? More info here: http://www.ghgande.com/greenMonitor.html I have seen a few references in the forum and the description on their web site seems quite promising, but I can't seem to raise anyone at the company. I think that the user tallgirl is (was?) affiliated, but she seems to be absent from the forums for the last 2-3 months.

Thanks!

tallgirl
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 8 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH),

Re: greenLogger Lite Experience?

Post by tallgirl » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:31 pm

greenHouse Gas and Electric ended operations MANY years ago.

It wasn't actually impossible to make a living selling the equipment and software, but it simply wasn't profitable. The real killer was the collapse in PV component costs driving down the expected price for equipment. When I wrote the first version of the software, back in 2008, solar panel prices were close to $6 / watt. By 2012, when I started working for a microinverter manufacturer as a firmware engineer, the price was below $1 / watt. By that time many buyers expected hardware and software to be sold at a price that wouldn't have paid me a real salary, much less allowed me to bring on additional staff.

There were other issues, including some problematic customers, but with the collapse in system prices there just wasn't enough revenue to be had selling a product that didn't generate power.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.

Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Post by Kurt Lundquist » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 am

Hi Julie,

It's nice to see you on the forum and I hope all is well. I seem to remember that you had some well written white papers on your site. Specifically, I think you had a great write up on how to EQ. Are any of those papers still available online?

Thanks,

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/

tallgirl
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 8 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH),

Post by tallgirl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:34 am

Kurt -

I'm not sure where all that content is located these days. I've had a few major server upgrades at the house over the years, and it has been a LOT of years.

I =thought= I'd posted copies to the forum that used to exist for my product, but that forum (and the Intallact one as well) seems to have been deleted.

I seem to recall Outback had also produced a document, and I'd given y'all some feedback? I'd prefer NOT to send out anything with my company name on it because that just stirs up more "Hey, can you send / sell me that thing?" emails.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.

basrijn
Forum Expert
My RE system: MATE3s, FLEXNET DC, FlexMax 80, FXR3048A, 4x Enersys SBS 170F, Honda EU 1500/Wacker G25

Post by basrijn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi Julie,

You might want to update your signature for the forum ;-)

From your experience, what as the functionality that most people were interested in? I've been building out some software for my own use. Trying to build it generic enough so that other people can use it as well. It will feed some free for non-commercial use IoT platforms (Losant and Ubidots) for the front-end.

Tx
Bas

tallgirl
Forum Emperor

Post by tallgirl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Heh. I really ought to. This is the most I've logged on here in ages. I don't want to say I'd forgotten all about this place, but I've been plenty busy for the past 5 years or so.

What my customers most wanted was the ability to monitor and control their equipment remotely, as well as integrate other equipment into their systems. For example, I have two revenue-grade meters in my system. One is on the "line" side of my inverters, the other on the "load" side. I also have weather equipment and circuit-level monitors and contactors.

What I'll say is this -- if you want to write your own software because you enjoy it, have at it. But if you think you're going to make money on systems below 50-100kW, you're not.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.

basrijn
Forum Expert
My RE system: MATE3s, FLEXNET DC, FlexMax 80, FXR3048A, 4x Enersys SBS 170F, Honda EU 1500/Wacker G25

Post by basrijn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:20 pm

tallgirl wrote:Heh. I really ought to. This is the most I've logged on here in ages. I don't want to say I'd forgotten all about this place, but I've been plenty busy for the past 5 years or so.

What my customers most wanted was the ability to monitor and control their equipment remotely, as well as integrate other equipment into their systems. For example, I have two revenue-grade meters in my system. One is on the "line" side of my inverters, the other on the "load" side. I also have weather equipment and circuit-level monitors and contactors.

What I'll say is this -- if you want to write your own software because you enjoy it, have at it. But if you think you're going to make money on systems below 50-100kW, you're not.
:) Yeah, for me it started as a fun project for me to play with IoT and learn Python. It's getting a little out of control ;-) But purely as hobby, will be opensource.

TX!

tallgirl
Forum Emperor

Post by tallgirl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 pm

The software I wrote over 11 years ago started the same way.

When I was laid off in '09 I turned it into a business. Things weren't too bad at the start, and I had a few hundred thousand dollars in gross revenue in 2011. 2012 looked like it was the "make or break" year and I needed around $1M in venture money to make the transition from "working myself to death" to a real company. After getting yanked around by a couple of people who promised me access to money, I said "Oh, to Hell with it" and haven't looked back. I found out 3 years later than the venture capital "pool" I was trying to get money from stopped funding solar related startups.

The greenLogger Lite wasn't a bad little device. I still have one in service at my house, and it's been on and running 24/7 for maybe 7 years now. What I sold them for never made financial sense, when it came to support, because they were overkill for many customers who'd be just as happy with a Mate 3. I needed to spend a few hundred more hours to make them even more fool-proof, but I also needed to spend a few hundred hours growing the business. Thus, the need for a large pile of money so I could make an even larger pile of money.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.

basrijn
Forum Expert

Post by basrijn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Interesting. I've been in IT for for around 25 years now, was a pretty early Linux adopter and made some money building high performance mail servers. I thought about turning that into a company but didn't. I was an early user of an open source phone system and made some money building replacement PBX system, again thought about starting a company around that and didn't. I don't care for the commercial aspect, I like the technical challenges. Circumstances, like yours, have never provided a final push.

I'm amazed at what sort of tools we have available to us now at little or no cost, my current projects use:
- Onion Omega, a $10 wifi enabled full Linux PC with I2C support. They run at about 1W
- https://shop.controleverything.com/ for sensor, I currently have AC current, temp, propane, voltage sensors, relays. Most are a few dollars, the current (I) setup is a bit more. All I2C enabled and tied to the Onion Omega
- Node-Red, a mind blowing IoT platform build on Node.js. You can build graphing and control in minutes by dragging some stuff around. This is what I use for the central control piece (call it the real time component)
- Python with modules (pymodbus etc) running on the different Omega's to do the sensors readings. Data is cached locally on them and submitted upstream when power returns (AC)
- Losant, a nice IoT platform that I use for longer term data retention/graphing

The part that is pretty much 100% done now is a single Onion Omega and a tiny network switch both powered from the batteries. Mate3 to the battery powered switch, Onion Omega to the switch. Reading the different components every minute via MODBUS (Charge controller, FlexNet DC, inverter is off when I'm not there). When power is turned on, rest of network comes up and the Omega pushes it local cache out to Losant so I can see what happened to my system while away.

Phase two is replacing some Ubiquity "IoT" stuff that is used for controlling things with more Onion Omega's (remote start generator, well pump safety cutoff, propane ppm alarm) and some more measurements (L1 and L2 current on big gennie, L1 on the little Honda EU)

Way to much fun ;-) Only need 48 hrs in the day

https://www.instagram.com/basrijn/ has some pictures of the cabin and generator

Bas