Outback Charge Controller with LTO?

General Talk

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

oceankebro9
Forum Junior Member

Outback Charge Controller with LTO?

Post by oceankebro9 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:41 am

I'm trying to build a 48V solar bank for my skoolie. I found a good deal on an Outback GVFX 3648 setup and bought it. I've been hoping to get into LTO's for their longevity, so I can keep the batteries long term regardless of plans changing. From everything I've seen LTO cells are extremely durable, but my Outback charge controller manual only mentions using lead acid batteries for a bank. I assume this is due to the age of the inverter/charge controller, and not because I won't be able to select an appropriate charge profile. Does anyone have experience with this?

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Outback Charge Controller with LTO?

Post by raysun » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:41 am

I've not worked WITH LTO cells, but have worked with lots of Outback charge controllers. Its true that they are developed around lead acid battery technology. They don't, however, employ "one size fits all" battery charging profiles like many inexpensive controllers do. Rather, the charging profile is fully programmable.

As a three-phase charger, the FM controllers can be set for current limit to safely execute the constant current (Bulk) phase, and voltage set point to execute the constant voltage (Absorb) phase, as well as in the constant voltage maintenance charge (Float) stage.

Many Flexmax users have these parameters set for various lithium battery chemistries and are properly charging their batteries.

What are tge charging parameters of the battery that is being considered?