Midnite Classic Lite
24 Rolls batteries (48v system)
27 Kyocera solar panels (~6.5kw)
Mate
Mate hub
Off grid

Adding more panels, but facing different direction

Post by Pabloesguapo » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:12 am

I know there's another thread here addressing the same question, but it got so long, and it seemed like it went down some serious rabbit holes, I got confused. I'd like to take another stab at understanding this.

Here's the old thread.
http://outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15049

Here's my situation. I'm completely off-grid and always will be. I have 27 Kyocera panels facing south going into two combiners, one of six circuits, one of three, they go into a midnight classic 150 charge controller, and a classic light charge controller, In "follow me" mode. They control the charge into 16 Rolls s530 batteries, two strings of 8, for a 48 volt system, 800Ah @20hr. I am running 2 Outback FX 3648 inverter Chargers.

I obviously need much more charging capacity. I would like to fill up that second combiner it's a 6 bay, but I'm only using three. I don't have any more south-facing roof to put any more panels on. I have tons of east and west facing roof. Now, I read in that previous thread that it might not be a good idea to fill up the rest of that charge controller with panels facing a different direction. Is it dangerous, or is it just not optimal? If it's just not optimal, I can deal with the less than best bang-for-the-buck scenario, I just need to get more electricity into my system to keep my batteries charged. If it's dangerous, I don't want to blow anything up.

I also would like to know which direction I would set those panels if I could, east or west? Someone mentioned in the thread that there will be performance differences based on heat as well. How much difference are we talking about here? Is it better to try to get more energy into the batteries early in the day, or make my day last longer?

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Adding more panels, but facing different direction

Post by raysun » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:36 am

Adding panels facing a different direction is not optimal, and if the array is properly wired, not dangerous.

The choice of East or West facing would depend a great deal on local conditions like cloud cover, daytime temperatures, etc. The battery will usually benefit from the charge cycle being substantially completed in lower ambient air temperatures, so that may argue for mornings rather than afternoons in many climates.

The biggest issue with panels pointed in different directions is the challenge is presents to MPPT charge controllers finding an optimum power point from the array. It may be easiest to employ the existing unused capacity in the combiner, but may prove to be a false economy. Should performance suffer, separating the new sub-array to it's own controller would certainly optimize performance.

Mike Curran
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Outback - Garage roof:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one FM80 (2007/2020 - replaced MX60)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC (2007)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3s, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar - Barn roof: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied

Outback Skybox - Barn roof: (2019)
- 14 Talesun 275W in series (DC array input to SB inverter/charger)
- 3 SimpliPhi 3.8 batteries, 48V, 225Ah total
- AC coupled input (manual switch during grid outage only) from 14 Talesun 275W,
Enphase M215 microinverters, normally direct grid tied

All self-designed and self-installed

Post by Mike Curran » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:03 am

One way to get around this problem is to install module level power electronics (MLPE's) on each module, such as the Tigo optimizers I have on my garage roof array. They basically determine the MPPT per individual module instead of one device (e.g., your Midnites) for the whole string.

You might be able to get away with just putting them on the new arrays and leaving the south-facing ones without them, but im not sure about that. Will cost a few extra bucks but they do work for situations like yours.

- FWIW

- Mike

Edit: As Raysun suggests, another charge controller would work just as well and may even cost less than a bunch of optimizers. I'm using them because of shading issues on some modules, not because they're in different positions as you're planning.
http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?95b2dca2-ca6c
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221

pss
Forum Czar
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Post by pss » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 am

Several years ago I read an article that measured PV output at different latitudes both north and south and the effects of angle of the panel on output. I haven't been successful at relocating that article recently, but the upshot was if you think you can get do better facing East or West or can't get the best angles, the overall best PV output ANNUALLY was to simply mount the panels nearly flat on the roof, like a 4-6 degree angle south at most. This gives output from the East, West and in between when you cannot track the sun or adjust for perfect south as in your situation. You might give this solution a try with the caveat that adjusting tilt and direction later for your weather will let you optimize the panel mounting after a couple of years.

SandyP
Forum Guru
My RE system: 8 x 190W 24V Suntech panels (4 strings of 2) July 2011
4 x 325W 24V Suntech panels (2 strings of 2) added Sept2018
Mate2
Outback FM60 MPPT (max output lowered to 55amps)
12 x 2V Hoppecke GEL 660 Ah C100 - 24V System
Outback VFX3024 Inverter/Charger
Victron BMV-602s
Honda 5.5kW Genset

Post by SandyP » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:48 pm

raysun wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:36 am
./..
The choice of East or West facing would depend a great deal on local conditions like cloud cover, daytime temperatures, etc.../..
I would also add that the choice may be determined as to what times you are using power. If mostly in the morning then East facing vs afternoon use and West facing. Better to have the power from the panels/cc than drawing down your battery bank and then recharging.

706jim
Forum Member
My RE system: 6x330 watt Canadian solar panels 8x370 ah Trojan L16's Flexmax 80 Trace DR1524 Msw

Post by 706jim » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:44 pm

I have 1 kw facing southeast and 1 kw facing southwest. This is partly due to shading concerns. The system works well with an Outback FM80 charge controller. Doesn't seem to be any problem with the controller figuring out a good charge algorithm.